Wednesday, December 1, 2010

One in a Million

My grandmother, a"h, used to tell me that I am one in a million. She meant it in the positive manner, obviously. She cherished me, her beloved granddaughter, and made sure to let me know it at every opportunity.

This past Shabbos, I thought of my grandmother. I needed her desperately. Needed her to notice me, and to make me feel as if I was not only one among millions.

How else am I supposed to feel at a neighborhood kiddush, surrounded by little girls and mothers with strollers, all who barely manage to give a half smile or nod in my direction?

Like one in a million. That's me.

2 comments:

David_on_the_Lake said...

That's what Bobbis are for....

Devorah said...

The message we can all take from Chanukah is the power of each one of us. All it takes is one little flame to brighten up a room...it may have been dark but now the room has been illuminated. That's the significance of one candle.

During the time of the miracle of Chanukah, there was no pure oil to light the menorah. And then ONE jug was found! Just one jug! What could be accomplished with one little jug of oil?! But they tried. The menorah was lit. It was a message as if to say, we may not have the ability to make this menorah stay lit for the amount of time it will take to get more pure oil but we will do ours and leave the rest up to Hashem. This is the power of one small, pure jug of oil. Hashem did the rest and the menorah stayed lit for eight days!

So when you think you are just one in a million, think about the Chanukah story, the Chanukah miracle and remember how important YOU are! You are one person who has tremendous significance and you can and will shine!

She'asah nissim...Bayamim Haheim, bazman hazeh-May you experience your own miracle(s) very soon!